It’s imperative that those parents putting their children back into childcare at this time feel they can trust the centers to keep their children safe, which is why deep cleaning for childcare centers during COVID is so important. Nancie Brown & Associates, as a company that has specialized in thorough cleaning and sanitizing of schools, labs, retail spaces, homes, and more for more than thirty years, is well-situated to help child care facilities remain open by providing cleaning services during the coronavirus pandemic.
COVID-19 Cleaning and Disinfecting Guidance for Schools and Child Care Programs
COVID-19 is chiefly transmitted by respiratory droplets, which is why cloth face coverings are important for staff members and children alike to wear. These droplets are projected particularly far when COVID-19 sufferers cough or sneeze. While the virus does not enter the body through the skin, it can be conveyed to the vulnerable mucous membranes of the eyes, nose, and mouth, by touch. This also applies to situations where a surface (such as a door handle) has been contaminated with the virus and then it is touched by someone who later touches their mouth or nose, or rubs their eyes. The best guidance for child care centers in terms of preventing the spread of COVID-19 is to make cleaning and disinfecting routine. Cleaning removes dirt and most germs and can be done with soap and water. Disinfecting, conversely, is done with specific chemical products that will usually stipulate which kinds of germs they kill on the label, such as with hand sanitizer. It is a good idea to clean and/or disinfect each of these areas at your childcare center at least once a day, or more depending on usage:
- Door knobs and door handles
- Stair rails
- Classroom desks and chairs
- Lunchroom tables and chairs
- Light switches
- Handles on equipment such as trolleys, toys, etc.
- Shared toys
- Shared remote controls
- Shared desktops
- Shared telephones
- Shared computer keyboards/other computer peripherals
Surfaces that aren’t high-touch or high-risk (such as bookcases, filing cabinets etc.) don’t need this kind of regular disinfection treatment. Soft surfaces, such as carpets, rugs, and drapes do not need strong disinfectants, and can be cleansed with soap and water.
Guidance for Child Care Centers That Remain Open After an Identified Infection
It is uncommon that COVID-19 can be contracted from cleaning, especially when the correct precautions are taken. If someone, either a staff member or child, tests positive for COVID-19, follow these protocols:
- Staff should not touch their faces while cleaning, and should wash their hands immediately after cleaning.
- Cleaning staff should wear uniforms or designated work clothes while cleaning, and handle trash only while wearing disposable gloves. They may want to keep a change of clothes available for after they finish their shift. Any laundry of these clothes should be done at home if at all possible, and the clothes separated in a plastic bag from the other dirty laundry.
- After cleaning gloves have been removed, staff should thoroughly wash their hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Staff responsible for cleaning and disinfecting should be trained in the safe and effective use of disinfectants, and how to safely clean up biohazardous materials and body fluids such as blood, vomit, feces, and urine. They should be trained in the hazards of cleaning chemicals used in the workplace, so as to abide by OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard 29 CFR 1910.1200.
Turning to the Professionals for Childcare Center Cleaning
This is a lot of responsibility to thrust onto your staff, and it’s understandable that you would choose to go with a professional service over pushing additional responsibilities onto your staff. Especially in child care settings, it is essential to reduce the risks of exposure to coronavirus, considering that young children are not known for their ability to practice social distancing. Nancie Brown & Associates is heeding advice from state and local public health departments in providing top quality deep cleaning and sanitizing for childcare facilities in the Los Angeles area. Our company is highly experienced and acclaimed for our diligent commercial cleaning service. Contact us to learn more about what we can do for your organization.